Planet Earth: Handle With Care
Did you know that residential energy use produces more than 20% of total U.S. greenhouse gas emissions? And those greenhouse gasses come from literally thousands of different types of activities. So it’s not going to be one thing you do that makes a difference. It’s the cumulative effect of little things you change about your everyday life.
What is CO2 and why is it bad?
Carbon dioxide is a gas that is widely believed to contribute to global warming…and it happens to be a byproduct of many of our daily activities such as driving a car, turning on the lights, or washing our clothes. While Carbon Dioxide (CO2) is essential to life – plants, for example, absorb it from the atmosphere through photosynthesis – it can be classified as a pollutant when present in large quantities. Atmospheric concentrations of CO2 have increased more than 30% since the beginning of the industrial revolution, predominantly from burning fossil fuels and deforestation (burning fossil fuels creates CO2 and deforestation gets rid of the trees that help absorb it).
Why is this concept so controversial?
Some people believe that this cycle of global warming is part of a natural cycle of warming and cooling that the Earth has experienced since the beginning of time. Although there is ongoing political and public debate, most people agree that there are still significant benefits to combating greenhouse gas emissions. Two of the biggest indisputable benefits are conservationism and cleaner air. And if we happen to save a glacier from melting or a species from becoming extinct in the process, all the better!
How Green-kits can help you do your part
It’s never been easier to reduce your contribution to global warming, and you don’t have to break the bank in the process. Our products will help you reduce your carbon footprint in many ways you may not have thought of, such as:
• We purchase carbon credits, which is another way of saying that any CO2 produced by the transport of our products is counter balanced by funding renewable energy projects (like wind farms). The projects that Green-kits funds result in verified reductions of greenhouse gasses.
• Our earth-friendly laundry soaps work just as well in cold water, so you’ll use less energy to wash your clothes.
• All of our household paper products (including the packaging they come in) are made from recycled contents, so fewer trees are harmed.
• Our biodegradable dishwashing liquid and dishwasher gel are concentrated, so not only will you use less, but fewer resources are used to produce unnecessary packaging.
• All of our earth-friendly cleaning products help reduce your indoor air pollution, so you won’t need to use electricity for an air filter or air conditioner (except on hot summer days).
• Our popular cloth grocery bags help you say “no thanks” to both paper and plastic at the grocery store. In the process you do your part to save a tree and some oil.
• Uh Oh. And what’s that growing in your shower or kitchen sink? If you’re using any of the products sold in Green-kits, the answer is: Nothing (so you can turn off the lights and take a romantic shower by candlelight or wash the dishes by the light of the moon and not worry about what you’re missing).